NOTICE OF RACE FOR THE 2018 J/70 CLASS GRAND SLAM SERIES.
1.1 The 2018 J/70 Class Grand Slam Series is managed by the J/70 UK & Ireland Class Association. Each individual event host yacht club or organisation will be the Organising Authority working in collaboration with the J/70 UK & Ireland Class Association.
2.1 The 2018 J/70 Class Grand Slam Series will be governed by the Racing Rules of Sailing 2017 – 2020, including the National Authority (RYA) prescriptions.
2 .2 J/70 Class rule.
2. 3 Specific event Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions will be published by each OA.
3.0 ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY
3.1 Boats that meet the J/70 Class Rule are eligible for the 2018 J/70 Class Grand Slam Series once the boat’s owner has joined the J/70 UK & Ireland Class Association.
3.2 Entries for the 2018 J/70 Class Grand Slam Series’ individual events shall be made on the official entry forms in accordance with each events NOR. All entries should be sent directly to the event OA.
4.0 ADVERTISTING AND BOW NUMBERS
4.1 Boats may be required to display advertising chosen and supplied by the OA or/and the J/70 UK & Ireland Class Association.
4.2 Bow numbers and other decals may be issued for use.
5.0 RACE DOCUMENTS
5.1 The Sailing Instructions for each event of the 2018 J/70 Class Grand Slam Series will be made available to all entries seven (7) days prior to each event.
6.0 RACE AREA AND COURSES
6.1 Racing will take place in The Solent and adjacent waters.
6.2 The courses will be windward / leeward, ideally with four legs and a target time of 60 minutes per race. Further details will be available in the Sailing Instructions.
7.0 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
7.1 2018 J/70 Grand Slam Series
Event number Date Event Organising Authority
1. April 21 – 22 Warsash Spring Championships – 1 Warsash SC
2. April 28 – 29 Warsash Spring Championships – 2 Warsash SC
3. May 25 – 27 The J-Cup Island Sailing Club
4. June 2 – 3 Southern Area Championships Royal Thames YC
5. July 20 – 22 UK National Championships (Non-discardable) Royal Southern YC
6. August 4 – 7 Cowes Week Mini-Series Cowes Week
7. September 22 – 23 Autumn Championships Royal Yacht Squadron
8. October 13 – 14 Hamble One Design Championships – 1 Hamble River SC
9. October 20 – 21 Hamble One Design Championships – 2 Hamble River SC
8.1 RRS Low Points System of Appendix A shall be used for scoring of the 2018 J/70 Class Grand Slam Series with the following changes:
8.2 The 2018 J/70 Class Grand Slam Series consists of nine (9) separate events, as per NOR 7.1.
8. 3 One (1) race is required to be completed at each event to constitute a series and count towards the 2018 J/70 Class Grand Slam Series.
8. 4 A boats series score for the 2018 J/70 Grand Slam Series will be the total of its best five (5) overall rankings from the nine (9) events.
8.5 The UK National Championships will be a non-discardable event.
8.6 RRS A9 will not be used.
9.0 TROPHY AND PRIZES
9.1 Perpetual trophies will be presented to the top boat and the highest ranked “Corinthian Team”. Details for individual event prize giving presentations will be provided in the event NOR and SI’s.
10.0 RIGHTS TO USE NAMES & LIKENESS
10.1 By entering the events, the owner (or charterer) and crew members on competing boats grant at no cost the absolute right and permission to use their names, voices, images, likenesses, and biographical material, as well as representations of their boat in any media (including film, print and internet), to the J/70 UK & Ireland Class Association and sponsors.
11.0 RISK STATEMENT
11.1 Rule 4 of the Racing Rules of Sailing states: “The responsibility for a boat’s decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone.” Owners should pay particular attention to the Risk Statements in the Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions.